Clos Fourtet is a 1er Grand Cru Classé B located in the prestigious appellation of Saint-Emilion at the top of the AOC. The Château is located at the gateway to the medieval town of Saint-Emilion. Clos Fourtet owes its name to the "Camp Fourtet", a fortified place that served to protect the town in the Middle Ages. Rightly considered today as one of the icons of Saint Emilion, Clos Fourtet wines combine a deeply fruity texture, smoothly elegant tannins and a singular aromatic race.
In the latest official Saint Emilion classification of 2012, Clos Fourtet maintains its rank of 1st Grand Cru Classé B.
OWNER: Philippe Cuvelier Family
MANAGING DIRECTOR : Matthieu Cuvelier
CHAIRMAN: Nathan Canal Descudé
OENOLOGIST: Jean-Claude Berrouet and Stéphane Derenoncourt
VINIFICATION : Fermentation of the grapes in whole berries in 25 small capacity thermo-regulated stainless steel tanks
AGEING : 60-80% new barrels with 14 to 18 months of aging in underground cellars
a bit of
According to the book "Bordeaux and its wines" the current property was called "Campfourtet" in the Middle Ages. It was a military camp to protect the entrance to the city of Saint Emilion.
From the 18th century onwards, Jean Rulleau, Lord of "Campfort", sat as Jurat in Saint-Emilion. His descendant Elie Rulleau transformed the property into a vineyard and gave it its current appearance in 1784. He was inspired by the "lords of wine" (Lafitte, Margaux, Latour and Haut Brion) who initiated a real revolutionary turn in the art of wine making. In the next 10 years, he built a neo-classical house, a cellar and a wall to protect his vineyards.
From 1841 onwards, Campfourtet was recognized as one of the best Crus of Saint Emilion: an exceptional terroir, the capacity to make and age wine in the cellars, as well as the old vines were not foreign to this recognition.
In 1867, the property was bought by Emile Leperche who renamed it "Clos Fourtet" and took part in the Universal Exhibition in Paris, winning his first gold medal.
Several owners followed until 1949, when the Lurton family took over Clos Fourtet, which was officially classified as a Premier Grand Cru of Saint-Emilion in 1954.
Philippe Cuvelier bought Clos Fourtet in 2001. He will make big investments, refurbish the cellars, install about twenty stainless steel thermo-regulated vats. Philippe Cuvelier then entrusted the management of the estate to his son Matthieu, who moved the vineyard to a sustainable culture with attempts at biodynamic farming on certain parcels.
The vineyard of Clos Fourtet is located at the top of Saint Emilion, where the limestone outcrops the most, which allows to induce an excellent drainage. This limestone will also give the wine an inimitable freshness as well as a minerality and delicacy of the tannins.
Working in synergy with nature, the Clos Fourtet teams take great care in the cultivation of their land. They use organic treatments as well as biodynamic methods. In addition, the soils of the estate are naturally fertilized by cows that graze around them. The richness of this ecosystem is also reinforced by the presence of hedges, wild flowers and shrubs around the property which shelter a great biodiversity.
from the vineyards
to the bottle
Thanks to the implementation of a reasoned management of the vineyard and a good maintenance, the domain produces distinguished wines, with a great finesse and an unequalled mineral freshness. In the vineyard, the teams inspect each row of vines nearly thirty times a year. They listen to nature in order to respond to the needs to reflect the identity of the terroir in their wine.
In the winery, the work is meticulously orchestrated. Once the grapes are split, their juice is poured into stainless steel vats adapted to each parcel. The grape skins and pips are manually pushed to the bottom so that they infuse leaving perfumes, tannins and colors to be revealed little by little.
The estate produces a grand vin named Clos Fourtet, a 1er Grand Cru Classé that declines its freshness with fruit and spice flavors, as well as a second wine called Closerie de Fourtet. The property is at the cutting edge of what the plateau can produce, enhanced by biodynamic farming, it reveals an energy and texture close to perfection.